Hi friends! I hope you had a great weekend.
I am so excited for today’s post because I am teaming up with some of my blogger friends to bring you a complete healthy Labor Day barbecue feast! We each put together a different course for the menu, and oh man, I want to dig into all of these delicious creations. Let’s take a look!
I made a grain-based Farro Salad with Cherries and Walnuts (Vegan and Refined Sugar-Free)
Make sure to click over to their posts to check out their amazing recipes!
Now are you ready for this delicious Farro Salad with Cherries and Walnuts?
You guys know I am OBSESSED with farro — it’s my all-time favorite grain. Farro is perfect for big batch salads like this one because it doesn’t get soggy after being dressed and it holds up very well in the fridge for a couple of days.
I love, love, love the sweet-tart flavor that the cherries give to this salad, and there are so many different textures thanks to the added crunch from the walnuts and celery.
I know you guys are going to love this one and I can’t wait for you to try it!
- ¾ cup uncooked farro
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- 1 cup sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1.5 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ Tablespoon raw honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Bring 2.5 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the farro and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes or until al dente. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl combine the farro, celery, cherries, walnuts and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss the farro with the dressing. Chill for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.