Travis and I tried a new (to us) restaurant, The Misfit in Santa Monica recently. We had been there for drinks but never for dinner and after hearing rave reviews from numerous friends we finally decided to tough out the hour-long wait and try it out.
Most items on the menu were served tapas style, so we ordered a bunch of things to share (my favorite kind of meal). The item on the menu we were most impressed by was their shredded kale and quinoa salad. It was OUT.OF.THIS.WORLD. We spent a good 20 minutes (you think I’m exaggerating) trying to figure out every ingredient in the salad so that we could try to recreate it at home.
And that’s precisely what we did.
I read somewhere that it can be good to soak kale in water mixed with some sea salt for a few hours. (If you have never tried it, kale is a very tough green, so it can sometimes be hard for your body to break down…the salt water mixture helps with that).
In the end, I think we did a good job detecting all the flavors in the salad. Our version may not have tasted EXACTLY like The Misfit’s, but I’d say it’s pretty darn close.
I’ve made this three times in the last two weeks, so yeah, it’s THAT good.
Look at me being all vegetarian and whatnot!
P.S. Travis ate this with some grilled chicken on top. I think it is totally filling on its own – up to you!
- 3 large bunches kale, soaked in salt water for a few hours and drained, then chopped or shredded
- ⅓ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- ⅛ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons dijon
- ½ teaspoon agave
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the lemon vinaigrette to taste.