When I tell people that I work out at 5AM every morning before work, they usually tell me that I’m nuts. While that may be partially true, I’ve found that it really works with my schedule and I love the feeling of having my workout completed before most people are even waking up!
I won’t lie, it definitely took me a few weeks to make it a habit and find the perfect routine. My biggest tip for anyone who is daring to join the 5AM Workout Club is to prepare everything the night before. For me this means laying out my gym clothes, headphones, watch, and water bottle. Heck, I even unlace my sneakers! That way I can just get up and GO and there is very little time for me to make an excuse to go back to bed. Trust me, the longer you spend trying to find your socks and sports bra in the wee hours of the morning, the more time there is to convince yourself that your bed looks way more inviting.
When I first started this routine I worked out on an empty stomach. I was never hungry as soon as I woke up, so I would just eat after my workout. I started experimenting with eating a little something before I got to the gym and I found it made a big difference – much more than I thought it would. Even half a banana or one of these delicious nut butter protein bites makes me feel a little bit better and provides me with enough energy to complete a great workout.
I started experimenting with protein bites because I didn’t want to eat an entire bar before my workout. I’ve played around with the recipe a lot in order to get the right texture and taste. I think they’re perfect now!
Every bite contains a solid dose of fiber, healthy fats, and protein! Even better? They’re gluten-free, so they are great for those of you who try to avoid gluten in your diets!
I hope you love these little nut butter protein bites as much as I do. I’ve already finished this current batch, so I think the next time around I am going to experiment with different ingredients such as raisins, dried cranberries, and chocolate protein powder. Do you guys have any other yummy ideas?
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ⅛ cup vanilla protein powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ cup almond butter
- ⅛ cup peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1-2 teaspoons water (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, chia seeds, protein powder, and cinnamon. In a smaller microwave-safe bowl, combine the almond butter, peanut butter, and honey. Microwave for 15-20 seconds or until the mixture can be easily stirred. Pour the nut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. If you are finding the mixture difficult to stir, add one teaspoon of water and continue mixing. Repeat if necessary*.
- Roll the mixture into 8-10 bite-sized balls. Store in the fridge in a sealed container.