I decided to take a break from my slow cooker this week. Don’t get me wrong, it took serious effort to pull myself away. I am just so in love with the concept of prepping everything ahead of time and coming home from work and not having to do a darn thing!
Travis and I have made these pita pizzas twice now. The first time we followed a recipe from Cooking Light, but this time we adapted it to make our own, changing the flavors and cooking technique slightly.
We used Whole Wheat pita, lean ground sirloin, avocado hummus and fresh cilantro.
The flavors are amazing, but the mix of textures on this pizza is really what does it for me. We used a very doughy pita, so when you combine that with smooth hummus and good quality sirloin, it all just melts in your mouth.
This pizza comes together in under 30 minutes, so I think it is perfect for a weeknight meal.
I brought leftovers for work the next day. I just packed the pita, hummus, and sirloin mixture all separately and then ate it all as a sandwich instead – also a delicious way to do it!
- 1lb ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomato (chopped) OR ½ cup jarred tomato sauce
- 4 Whole Wheat Pita Rounds
- Hummus (any kind will do - I used Avocado Hummus)
- Fresh Cilantro
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high. Add the ground sirloin to the pan, cook for 3 minutes until browned, stirring often to crumble the meat. Remove the sirloin from the pan.
- Add the olive oil to the pan. Add the onion and bell pepper, and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, oregano and salt. Saute for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato or tomato sauce. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the tomatoes soften. Stir in the cooked sirloin.
- Preheat broiler to high. Place pita rounds on a baking sheet and broil for 1-2 minutes on each side until crisp. Be sure to watch them as to not let them burn.
- Spread about 2 Tablespoons of hummus on each pita. Top each pita with about ½ cup of the sirloin mixture. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.