Hi friends! Anyone else glad that it’s Wednesday already? Me, me, me! This week is cruising along and I am not complaining. Travis and I have fun weekend plans on the horizon, so I am itching to get there.
I’ve got an AWESOME weeknight recipe for you guys today. This Spicy Basil Chicken is definitely going to be on regular rotation for me. I’ve made a lot of stir fry recipes and this is easily one of the best.
Reasons why I love this recipe:
- It’s freaking delicious. Duh.
- You can make it under 30 minutes. (Because who has more time than that on a weeknight?)
- The veggies are completely customizable, so you can just use up what you already have.
- Many of the ingredients should be pantry staples – especially if you like to cook Asian food.
- Leftovers are REALLY good.
Shall I go on?
I think this recipe would also be delicious with shrimp, but for a vegetarian alternative, I’d bet tofu would be great, too!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2-3 Tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- ½ yellow onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- brown rice for serving
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2.5 teaspoons sriracha or other asian chili paste
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Whisk 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch together in a medium bowl. Add the chicken cubes and coat the chicken in the soy sauce mixture. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all of the Spicy Basil Sauce ingredients. Whisk together to incorporate the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of canola oil and once hot, add the shallots. Saute for 1 minute, until they begin to soften. Add half the chicken to the pan, browning on all sides for 2 minutes. Do not cook fully. Remove the chicken from the pan and place into a bowl. Add the second batch of chicken and repeat. Add the browned chicken to the bowl.
- Add an additional Tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the bell pepper and onion and saute for 2 minutes. Next add the broccoli and saute for an additional minute. Add the garlic to the pan, adding additional oil as needed to ensure nothing burns. Saute until the vegetables are soft and cooked.
- Add the chicken back into the pan. Then add the Spicy Basil Sauce and mix thoroughly to coat the chicken and vegetables. Remove from heat and stir in the sliced basil.
- Serve immediately with brown rice.