Hi guys — it’s Friday, wahooo!
I am headed to Philadelphia this weekend for Travis’s 5th year college reunion (mine is next year, eek!). I am so excited to see friends and walk around my old college campus. Plus, you know I will be eating my way through the city these next few days. I had so many favorite restaurants in Philly and I can’t wait to get back to some of them!
I wanted to pop in before my trip and share a new summer recipe: a Taco Salad with Shredded Chicken and a delicious Lime-Cilantro Dressing!
You guys know that I love to take a classic recipe and make it healthier. So why not deconstruct everyone’s beloved taco and turn it into a flavor-packed, BOMB DOT COM salad!?
Sure, taco salads are nothing new, but a good restaurant version might cost you upwards of 1,000 calories!
What, are you surprised? Those salads come swimming in cheese, fried toppings and fatty dressings. No señor, not going to fly in my book.
In comes my Taco Salad.
It’s packed with veggies like corn and bell peppers, healthy fats from avocado, a good dose of fiber from black beans, and lean protein — shredded chicken!
The Lime-Cilantro Dressing might be my favorite part. Mannnn, is this dressing good. It SCREAMS summer with every bite.
You have to make sure you don’t leave out the crushed tortilla chips on top — they add a necessary crunch to this monster salad.
I created this Taco Salad recipe for the Del Real Blogger Recipe Challenge and I would LOVE it if you guys could vote for me! You have to have an active Facebook page to vote, and you can vote once per day until Thursday, June 9th!
The winner gets a prize package valued at over $10,000, so help me win! 🙂 🙂
Click here to be taken to the voting page! Scroll down and click the “Vote” box on the right side of the recipe!
Thank you in advance for voting! You guys are the BEST.
Disclaimer: I was provided Del Real Shredded Chicken for the purpose of this post, but the recipe and content are all my own. Thank you for your continued support of this blog!
- 5 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 oz. Shredded Chicken
- ½ cup black beans, cooked
- ½ cup charred corn (either frozen and defrosted or grilled on a grill)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- ½ avocado, diced
- 6-8 tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch sugar
- To make the salad, divide the chopped romaine among two large salad bowls. Add half each of the shredded chicken, black beans, corn, bell pepper, and avocado to each bowl. Top each salad with crushed tortilla chips.
- To make the dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a blender or mini food processor and pulse until the ingredients come together, 15-20 seconds.
- Dress each salad with about 2 Tablespoons of the dressing, or to taste. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.