When Travis and I were in Copenhagen earlier this month, we had two amazing meals at The Union Kitchen. We stopped in for dinner on our first night, and right away we knew we were in for a good meal because the restaurant was packed! The Union Kitchen is known for their meatballs — they have seven varieties on the menu, ranging from beef and poultry to vegetarian.
Out of everything we tried at The Union Kitchen, the chicken meatballs in green curry were our favorite. Travis and I sat at the table, trying to detect each ingredient so that we could recreate them at home. After two attempts, I think I nailed them! As with all of my restaurant adaptations, I am sure this version is slightly healthier than the one we had in Copenhagen, but these meatballs are still jam-packed with delicious Thai flavor.
I urge you not to leave out the cilantro, basil or fish sauce. All three are crucial in adding depth to the green curry. If you don’t already have fish sauce, you can find it at any grocery store in the Asian foods section (and it’s not as weird as it sounds, I promise!).
Want to know my favorite part about this recipe? Everything is cooked in ONE pot, which makes clean up a breeze! Plus, you don’t have to brown the meatballs first. They cook directly in the simmering green curry sauce, which allows them to soak up the flavor of the broth and ensures they don’t dry out.
We love this recipe, and I know you will, too!
- 1 lb. ground chicken*
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs**
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced and divided
- 3 Tablespoons green curry paste, divided
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped and divided
- 2 Tablespoons basil, sliced and divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, green onions, breadcrumbs, 2 cloves garlic, ½ Tablespoon ginger, 1 Tablespoon green curry, fish sauce, sugar, half of the cilantro, half the basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir gently to combine. Using wet hands, roll the mixture into 13-15 meatballs and set aside on a large plate.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add the remaining garlic and ginger to the bottom of the pot and stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of green curry paste to the pot and stir for an additional 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Gently place the meatballs in the green curry sauce, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the lid, stir the meatballs, and add the diced green apple to the pot. Cover the pot and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add the lime juice and remaining cilantro and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with brown rice or rice noodles.
**Can substitute for gluten-free breadcrumbs
P.S. If you liked this recipe, try my all-time favorite turkey meatball recipe!