The kale craze isn’t over yet, right? Okay, good, because I have a great recipe for you today!
This spicy braised kale is everything you want in a side dish: quick, easy, and extremely healthy!
All you need is kale, extra-virgin olive oil, chicken or vegetable broth, red pepper flakes, and parmesan. I bet you already have a majority of that in your pantry, right?
This is a great way to eat kale for those of you who struggle to digest it. It is no news that kale leaves are extremely tough, making it very difficult for our stomachs to break down. However, when you braise kale in liquid, like in this recipe, the leaves become soft, and thus a lot easier on our bellies.
The first time I made this braised kale, I ate it on its own (yes, it was that good!) I know it would be a delicious side dish served with my grilled skirt steak or roasted chicken.
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lb. Tuscan kale, torn and stems removed
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ cup shaved parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil. Once hot, add the kale in batches (adding an additional handful every 20 seconds or so). Cook until kale begins to wilt, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth to the pan, reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for about 12 minutes until the kale is tender and almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and transfer the kale to a serving dish. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and parmesan. Add a small amount of salt and pepper to taste.