Hi guys! Apologies to those of you who subscribe. It seems as though the email service sent out a strange format of this blog post last night. Sorry if you clicked on the link expecting a recipe!
Anyway, the tech side of things seem to be sorted out now, so let’s jump into the REAL reason you’re here: this Roasted Butternut Squash with Sesame and Gochujang!
Have you tried Gochujang before? It’s a Korean Sweet & Spicy Sauce and it’s delicious on basically everything.
Travis and I discovered it a few years ago after he found an INCREDIBLE recipe for Gochujang Chicken Wings in GQ. After making those wings, we’ve always had a bottle of the stuff in our fridge. We love this one, and you can buy it either online or at Whole Foods.
This recipe is adapted from one I pulled out of an old issue of Bon Appetit. I loved the idea of putting an Asian spin on butternut squash. When fall hits, we see recipes for butternut squash everywhere: mashed with brown sugar, creamy bisque, you name it! While I love those dishes, I was ready for something new.
If you love Asian flavors, this recipe for you. And yes, I know what you’re thinking. It IS worth the trek to the store just to buy a bottle of gochujang. I honestly can’t offer any comparable substitutes here – it’s an essential ingredient in this recipe.
For the record, peeling and dicing butternut squash is not my favorite task. Every time, I nearly lose a finger. Sure, I know the proper technique, but tiny hands + big squash + sharp knife = I’m not really set up for success. So if you’re not up to peeling and cutting your own, feel free to buy a squash pre-cubed at the grocery store. It saves you tons of time…and possibly a finger!
I hope you love this Butternut Squash with Sesame and Gochujang as much as we did! I know I’ll be making it on repeat this fall and winter.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1.5 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1.5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon gochujang
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons sliced scallions
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Peel and seed butternut squash. Cut into ½ inch cubes.
- In a small bowl combine the sesame seeds, vegetable oil, gochujang, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- In a large bowl toss the oil mixture with the butternut squash. Spread the squash on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes, remove from oven and flip the squash. Rotate the baking sheet and roast again for an additional 15 minutes until brown and tender.
- Toss the roasted butternut squash with sliced scallions and a pinch of sea salt. Serve warm.