Today might be April Fools Day, but this recipe is no joke. This simple fish dish was sent to me by my dad a few years ago when I expressed a desire to learn how to cook more seafood.
This meal boasts all of the flavors of a delicious Mediterranean feast, but requires only a handful of ingredients. I’ve made it with cod, tilapia, and halibut – really, whatever is on sale at the time.
The flavors will remind you of summer. I don’t know about you, but as the weather begins to get warmer, I crave lighter meals like this one. I love eating fish for dinner because it’s protein-packed, but doesn’t leave you feeling overly stuffed before bed.
This Spicy Cod with Cherry Tomatoes and Olives is fast enough for a weeknight meal, but impressive enough to serve for company. Whatever you do, make sure you serve this with a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice to heighten the flavors. It makes a BIG difference!
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 4-5 oz. filets of cod or tilapia
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for serving
- Sprinkle the fish filets with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the fish filets to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the center is opaque. Remove fish from pan and set aside.
- Add the last Tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the parsley and red pepper and saute for 30 seconds. Next add the cherry tomatoes, olives, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, until the tomatoes and olives soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the fish with the tomato mixture. Squeeze fresh lemon over each filet of fish and serve.