This is a simple and healthy side dish that comes together in less than 15 minutes and requires only three ingredients!
I personally hate when people take green beans and smother them with unhealthy creams and toppings. Good quality green beans are so delicious and do not need a lot of added junk to please your taste buds!
Shallots and greens go together like peanut butter and jelly (that is no news to anyone) and the toasted pine nuts add a perfect nutty crunch to this dish. I love to prepare my green beans this way because I think they can be served with almost anything – poultry, meat, or fish. This is the ideal weeknight veggie because it comes together in a pinch!
- 1 lb. green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted*
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Immediately strain the green beans and rinse with cold water for about 1 minute (alternatively, place green beans in a bowl of ice water). Pat dry.
- Turn a large pan to medium-high heat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots and cook for 2 minutes until golden. Add the green beans to the pan and toss for about 1 minute to warm. Salt and pepper to taste. Place the green beans and shallots on a platter and sprinkle with the pine nuts.