I hope everyone had a wonderful and relaxing Labor Day weekend. I can’t decide what is better – having that extra day to relax OR having a short work week. What do you think?
Did you grill this weekend? Ever since we got our new Weber Grill two weeks ago, we have grilled almost every night. We can’t get enough of it!
Up until now we haven’t had room for a grill, so we always used our favorite Lodge cast-iron grill pan. I love the grill pan and it does have it’s advantages (e.g. it is much faster to heat up than the charcoal grill). But, given the opportunity (and provided I have enough patience that evening to let the grill heat up) I think going forward we will always opt for the grill. That yummy charcoal flavor on beef, steak, shrimp, corn is really incomparable.
These grilled ground beef kebabs were a last minute creation. I was really not in the mood for a burger (I had In ‘N Out the day before – and let’s be real people, you just can’t outdo In-N-Out), so we decided to use our ground beef to make something different.
I honestly did not know what to expect – but, HOLY SMOKES, these were out of this world. They were even better than the beef kebabs I had on my birthday dinner (and we went to a very authentic Mediterranean restaurant)!
The ingredients are very simple, and I will bet you already have most of them. It is the combination of spices and the delicious grilled char that really makes these special.
They grill up quickly, so be sure to watch them to make sure they do not overcook.
We ate ground beef kebabs with grilled onion and bell pepper, grilled corn on the cob, and roasted red pepper hummus for dipping. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (we used 93/7 from Whole Foods)
- ¼ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- pinch teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5-6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Combine all ingredients (ground beef through ground black pepper) in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Separate the mixture into 5-6 balls. Roll each into a log about 1.5 inches thick and 5-6 inches long. Insert a skewer through each log. Place on a baking sheet or cutting board and refrigerate for 30 minutes (this part is important to ensure the meat holds together when they are grilled).
- Heat a charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Grill the kebabs for 3-4 minutes on first side and then flip and grill for an additional 3 minutes, making sure to watch them as to not overcook. Remove from grill and serve immediately with hummus and/or tzatiki.