Celeriac, also simply called celery root, is an unusual vegetable, one that you rarely see in cookbooks or on restaurant menus. Though, I do think it’s growing in popularity, and I suspect we’ll start to see much more of it within the health food community soon due to its great nutritional profile. Admittedly, celery root is not the prettiest vegetable in the produce section, but it tastes delicious, especially when made into this Mashed Celery Root recipe. Just trust me.
Once you trim off the dirty, scraggly outer layers of the celery root, the portion that you find inside is (surprisingly!) edible and very tasty. To make this Mashed Celery Root recipe, you sauté cubed pieces of celery root in a large pot with garlic and chopped onion, and then simmer it in vegetable broth. Once it’s soft and caramelized, you mash the celery root with a potato masher or immersion blender until it resembles mashed potatoes. It’s very easy!
One cup of celery root contains HALF the calories and carbohydrates of a regular potato, making this Mashed Celery Root recipe a delicious, healthy alternative to mashed potatoes. Also, this recipe is completely dairy-free and vegan, so it is a good choice for a variety of diets.
I like to serve this Mashed Celery Root with chicken or steak cooked in some sort of tomato sauce, really anything that the celery root can soak up. It would also be delicious served with a vegetable ratatouille. Go ahead and try it! I think you’re going to love it.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large celery root, about 2 cups worth when peeled
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth*
- Salt and pepper
- Peel the celery root. You may need a knife to remove tough outer layers. Scrub it from any excess dirt and debris, and slice the celery root into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the pot, and once hot add the cubed celery root and onion. Allow the vegetables to cook until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes. Make a well at the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil and garlic. Cook for another minute, stirring regularly. Season with a pinch of both salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, until the celery root is soft. Check on the pot occasionally to make sure the heat is not too high or too low.
- Turn the heat off and remove the cover. Use an immersion blender or vegetable masher to blend the celery root until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You May Also Like…