This Whole Wheat Banana Bread is delicious with your morning coffee or as a quick and healthy snack when you’re on the go! It’s made with healthy whole grains, and contains NO dairy or refined sugar.
Hey guys! Happy belated 4th of July! Hopefully you had Monday off and enjoyed an extra long weekend with family and friends. July is going to be a jam-packed, SUPER fun month for me. I am heading to Boston on Friday for some wedding-related appointments, and the following weekend is my bachelorette party in Nashville! I am SO excited!
Recently, I’ve been working on updating the photos for some of my old recipes. A couple of weeks ago I was remaking my healthy whole wheat banana bread, and I decided to not just update the photos, but also make a few tweaks to the recipe.
I couldn’t wait to share this updated recipe with you all because I think this one is even better (and healthier!) than before.
My previous recipe contained butter and milk, but since I try to avoid dairy these days, I decided to make this new banana bread dairy-free. For a vegan version, you can use an egg substitute (like a flax egg) and maple syrup instead of honey. It’s important to use really ripe bananas for this recipe because they provide a lot of natural sweetness to the bread, and that way you don’t have to add as much sugar.
Travis and I (okay, mostly me) gobbled up the whole loaf in only three days. So for a larger family, you may want to double the batter and make two loaves because this whole wheat banana bread is bound to go quickly!
I love it slathered with crunchy peanut butter, and it’s also delicious with a little drizzle of honey. Yum!
I hope you guys love this healthy banana bread as much as we do!
- ¼ cup canola or avocado oil
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 VERY RIPE mashed bananas (about 1.5 cups)
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan.
- In a large bowl beat the oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla, baking soda, salt, bananas and almond milk. Beat until well combined. Next, beat in the honey and eggs. Then add the flour. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes and then lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top to prevent it from further browning. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it and place directly on a wire rack to cool completely.