With school and work starting up again after summer vacations, many of us are in need of new lunch options to throw into the mix. Personally, I always try to bring my lunch to work because it is cheaper, healthier, and I love knowing what I am eating. While I’ll always love sandwich classics like PB&J and turkey & cheese, I also get excited when I pack a new combination.
If you love Greek salads, this chicken pita sandwich is for you. It has all the delicious flavors of a true mediterranean meal, packed into a healthy and hearty whole wheat pita. I used my homemade avocado hummus for this sandwich, but any tasty packaged hummus will also work.
I love the crunch from the cucumbers and the tangy bite from the feta and olives. Feel free to leave out the chicken for an equally satisfying vegetarian lunch option. I hope you love this as much as I do!
- 4-5 oz. cooked rotisserie chicken
- ⅛ cup diced cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta
- 2 Tablespoons roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons kalamata olives, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Salt and Pepper
- ⅛ cup hummus (try my avocado hummus)
- 2 whole wheat pitas rounds, sliced in half
- In a medium bowl mix the chicken, cucumber, feta, red pepper, olives, red onion, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the hummus inside each pita half. Divide the chicken mixture between the four pita halves and serve with additional hummus and cucumber slices.