This Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Chicken Sausage is packed with whole grains, protein, and vegetables. It’s a weeknight meal that will have the whole family asking for seconds!
I could not wait to share this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Chicken Sausage with you! I’ve made it a few times now, playing around with the ingredients and varying textures, and this last time I nailed it.
I love this recipe because it doesn’t feel heavy like so many pasta dishes. In fact, there is no milk, butter, or heavy cream in the roasted red pepper sauce despite its creamy, rich flavor.
The sauce comes together easily in a mini blender or food processor. I use my Nutribullet and it works like a charm. You will have a bit of leftover sauce at the end, and you can either keep it in the fridge and use it within 3-4 days, or freeze the sauce to use at a later date.
I love the convenience of chicken sausage, and think that the Applegate Chicken Apple Sausage is delicious in this recipe, but feel free to try a different brand if you can’t find that one. And if you’re vegetarian and want to leave out the chicken sausage, the pasta will still be fantastic on its own.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained (about 8 oz. drained)
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 4 Tablespoons pecorino-romano, plus more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt + more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper + more to taste
- 12 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 chicken apple sausages, sliced ¼ inch thin
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into ½ inch half moons
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thin
- fresh basil for serving
- Heat a large skillet over MEDIUM-LOW heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and once hot add the garlic and shallot to the pan. Sauté for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- In a small blender or food processor, combine the drained roasted red peppers, almond milk, pecorino-romano, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and the sautéed garlic and shallot. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season it generously with salt. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions so it is al dente. Once al dente, strain the pasta and set aside.
- Bring the large skillet back to MEDIUM heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken sausage to the pan and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Once browned, remove the sausage from the pan and place onto a large plate. Add an additional tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the bell pepper, zucchini, and onion. Sauté for 6-7 minutes, then add the chicken sausage back to the pan.
- Turn the heat to LOW, and add the strained whole wheat pasta and about ⅔ of the roasted red pepper sauce. Toss the pasta, adding more sauce as needed to thoroughly coat all of the ingredients. Serve warm with fresh basil and pecorino-romano.