When I got back from Boston on Monday, Travis told me he bought all of the ingredients to make our favorite Skirt Steak Salad with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Green Beans. I was so excited because we haven’t had it in months, and it’s one of our favorite dinners.
We started making this Skirt Steak Salad a little over a year ago after trying something similar at one of our favorite restaurants in Santa Monica, The Library Ale House. As I am sure you could have guessed from the name, we love the Ale House for their great selection of beer and wine. They also make a mean burger, but we usually opt for their steak salad instead. It has everything you could want in a salad – bold flavors, fresh ingredients, contrasting textures, and a serious dose of protein.
When I set out to recreate this at home, I made some changes to better suit my taste buds. I subbed green beans for asparagus, used sweet potatoes instead of yukon gold potatoes, and seasoned the steak with my favorite spice rub from Serious Eats. The result? Absolutely AMAZING.
Don’t be turned off by the number of ingredients below. If you’re a steak-lover, then I guarantee it is all worth it! This recipe serves four, but feel free to make extras because leftovers are great for lunch the next day (I even eat the steak cold and love it!).
- 1lb flank or skirt steak
- Seasoning of choice (I follow this recipe)
- 1lb sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup green beans, ends trimmed and steamed
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Combine the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping half way through. Remove from the oven and allow to set aside.
- Season the steak with a seasoning of choice. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Grill the steak for 3-4 minutes on each side, until medium. Remove the steak from the grill and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. After it has rested, slice the steak into 1 inch think slices against the grain.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Prepare the salad. Divide the mixed greens among four salad bowls. Top each with the cherry tomatoes, green beans, roasted sweet potatoes, and shaved parmesan. Then add 3-4 slices of the steak and drizzle with dressing.