You’ll love these Salted Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies just as much as the traditional recipe. They’re made with less butter and sugar, but equally as delicious!
I’ve been making these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies for years now, and every person who’s tried them, loves them! In fact, my dessert-hating husband, Travis, loves these cookies so much, that he requests them on a weekly basis.
Sea salt is the key to really winning people over with these cookies. That final touch makes all the difference, so make sure you don’t leave it out. (And coarse sea salt is the way to go!)
I love this recipe, because despite having less butter and sugar than the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe, they’re just as delicious! Plus, a combination of whole wheat flour and oat flour makes them slightly more nutritious than your standard cookie, so there should be NO guilt involved.
I know you’re going to love these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies as much as we do!
- ½ cup (one stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar (unpacked) or coconut sugar*
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup rolled oats, blended in a food processor or blender to a fine powder
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips**
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the sugar and butter for about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and the vanilla until well combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the blended oats, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into ⅛ cup sized balls and place on a baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sea salt and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them rest on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
** Semi-sweet chocolate chips will also work