Last week, I was scrounging through the fridge looking for an afternoon snack, but quickly realized my options were limited. We were going away for the weekend, so we had very few groceries left in our fridge (I always try to use up anything I can before I go away because I hate waste).
Seeing as how we didn’t have any of my go-to snacks (Greek yogurt, fruit, hummus, etc.), I knew I was going to have to get creative. I pulled out the ONE vegetable we had left, a cucumber, and started messing around. Let’s be honest, cucumbers are pretty darn boring on their own because they’re basically all water. I knew I needed to add something to make these cukes exciting enough to please my taste buds.
I remembered the yummy cucumber salad from our favorite deli in Philadelphia, the Famous 4th Street Delicatessen, and set out to recreate the tasty vinaigrette they use. (Side note: If you are ever in Philly and you love deli food, you MUST go to 4th Street Deli. The sandwiches are double the size of your head and the quality of the food is A+++).
I whisked together a basic dressing of red wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper and drizzled it on the sliced cucumber spears. Then I sprinkled feta crumbles and finely chopped dill on top of the spears for an extra punch. The result was a delicious mid-day cucumber salad! The cucumber soaks up the flavor from the vinegar and the feta gives the cucumber a delicious taste that will remind you of a fresh Greek salad.
If you are are looking for a quick and low-calorie mid-day snack, you gotta try this!
- 1 large cucumber, cut crosswise and then cut into quarters, lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ⅛ cup feta cheese, crumbled (about ½ oz)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- Place the sliced cucumber spears in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers. Sprinkle with the feta and dill. Serve immediately.